Monday, May 2, 2011

Help wanted: A Sponsor

I had a conversation with a group of Direct Sellers who were discussing the struggles of not having an active sponsor or no sponsor at all. It made me think does having an active sponsor determine whether I am successful or not?

For me I have experienced both. In my first direct sales business I had a very active and supportive sponsor. I learned so much from her. The great thing was that she really taught me this business. It was a good experience until she decided to leave the company we were in.

She expected that the leaders in her team would follow her. When I chose to stay with my company, it did put an end to a very close relationship that we had built over the years. I felt like the child who had to stand up to their parents for the first time. Karen Phelps says it best "I had to put my big girl panties on"? LOL
That was another life lesson for me because I was in business for me not for a great sponsor.

When I started with another direct sales company a few years later. I had a sponsor who dropped out of sight within a year of me joining. I then was faced with another life lesson & challenge of finding someone in the company who could support me. I went to the other up-line leaders and gleaned  information from anyone who would return my calls or email.  (You know one or two of my up-line leaders did not respond to me.) :-)

I decide to go to the National Convention in the summer with a purpose. To find other consultants that I could connect with and build a relationship with. The best decision I could have made. I went alone and I came back with connections and support. I was adopted by another Supervisor who included me in on some of her training calls with her team. When you working with intention you get results.

I have also made it a practice to follow some of the most successful direct sales trainers in the industry. I invest in business because I am worth it. The bible says "Seek, Ask, Knock"! You have to not give up until you get the support you need for your business. That is what you need to do.

Help Wanted: Position Filled!

To your success
Michelle Gill Newton

1 comment:

  1. Great advice Michelle. I found myself in the same situation. You have to want it FOR yourself and find those who will help you get it.

    ReplyDelete